101 Things Everyone Should Know Before Buying A Steam Shower
1. A steam shower is a cost-effective way to install a complete all-in-one shower enclosure
2. Your local gym has a steam room for its many health and weight loss benefits, a home steam sauna has exactly the same benefits.
3. Easy and inexpensive to install
4. Steam Showers come made to specification and are not all the same, I wouldn't buy an unheard of TV from eBay for £600 and likewise, I wouldn't buy an unbranded shower from an EBAY only seller either.
5. A steam shower is built away from its final position. Because a units fixings and connections are present around the back of the shower, the actual build space will have to allow a person access around the back for the unit to later be slid into its final position
6. Not all steam showers that look the same are the same. Some have many big differences, thermostatic value Vs a mixer valve or touch screen Vs push buttons. Make sure you take these differences into account
7. A Pressure Equalising Valve (PEV) should be fitted, as with all shower valves, to protect the thermostatic core within the shower, this also ensure the proper functioning of the temperature control
8. With their increasing popularity, more and more plumbers have installed and are super competent with numerous units
9. Steam showers have sold in their hundreds of thousands across the UK and are a time-tested, reliable and robust product. Which has come a long way since their introduction into the market
10. When installed correctly a steam cabin will become an essential addition to your home
11. There are many good retailers out there today selling great quality units such is their popularity
12. The old series of steam showers have ''push buttons'' rather than the touch screen these units are years old and have since been refined and tweaked.
13. A thermostatic valve offers many advantages over a mixer valve, true temperature control and anti scolding to name the most important two
14. The electrics to the shower should ideally be on its own circuit
15. One of the main features of a steam shower is the ability to add aromatherapy oils to the steam, which has many benefits.
16. Always make sure the company your buying from can provide step by step comprehensive instructions
17. All units come with a flexible hose and wastes from the manufacturer. DONT pay extra!
18. A 30 min steam session in a unit costs about 17 pence at today's rates. Compare that to a £40 a month gym membership and your more than quid's in.
19. All steam shower have the ability to control the temperature of the cabin and have timer functions, Enabling you to have complete control over your sauna session
21. Most units can be fully fitted and working within a day.
22. The mirrored back glass is exactly what it says on the tin. It is a darkened mirror but its still clear enough to shave.
23. Aromatherapy in the steam can reduce tension and anxiety, caused by stress, insomnia, and other similar issues.
24. The health benefits are endless. Doctors and professionals in the health and fitness world actually subscribe to the use of saunas to help cure the body of particular illness and conditions.
25. Some steam units have a control panel safety ''LOCK'' feature, so a child can be left safely without the danger of them turning the steam or any other unwanted function on.
26. Steam showers come with an O3 self-cleaning feature, this adds an oxygen molecule to the atmosphere within the shower which breaks down any mould, much or mildew.
27. To ensure a proper installation the floor beneath the unit should be finished, ideally in tiles. Floorboards are good enough to allow the unit to slide back and forth as required if fully level.
28. The remote control does not set the water functions or turn them on. The remote is more for the steam functions, you can set the perfect temperature, get it up to heat and put on your favourite CD before you even set foot in the bathroom
29. Many units have whirlpool baths which enable hydrotherapy and hydromassage both of which are accepted and practised forms of muscle pain and stress relief
30. Foot massagers are commonplace within steam showers, these have been specially designed to massage and relax the feet and improve circulation through reflexology techniques
31. Reports of leaky and poorly built steam showers are always down to poor installation or poor quality units, a steam shower is ordered from the manufacturer to specification and corners can be cut. Meaning if the shower you are buying is from a poor company or eBay. You'll probably get what you'd expect.
32. Make sure you buy from a good firm that can supply spares if needed and won't have gone bust when you do.
33. Aromatherapy can reduce fatigue and help alleviate sleeplessness
34. To make sure you have a proper installation and working fan and features, there should be an extra 15cm space above the height of the unit
35. Price up a steam shower to even a 'Value' regular shower set-up and there won't be a big difference
36. The skin ejects even more toxins than the kidney does in a day.
37. A typical sauna session will burn about 300 calories
38. Sweating is the main contributor in all exercise that results in weight loss
39. Sweating in a sauna removes the accumulation of potentially carcinogenic heavy metals as well as alcohol, nicotine, sodium, cholesterol and anything the body natural want rid of.
40. A 30-minute steam sauna will produce the same amount of perspiration as a 10-kilometre run, or as many calories as you would during rowing for 30 minutes.
41. A steam shower will add desirability and value to your home
42. Sweating is the best method of detoxifying the body
43. A sauna raises the body's temperature which in turn kick start the body's immune system which makes it stronger
44. The natural benefit of heat is to soothe and relax tired muscles
45. Sweat rids the body of almost all the same elements as urine.
46. A steam sauna is actually a treatment for many respiratory problems
47. Heavy sweating cleans your skin from the inside out and cleanses your skin more thoroughly than soap and water.
48. All electric inside a steam unit are out of the way of any water and are transformed to a safe 12 volts via a transformer
49. Fitting a unit is possible on all water types as long as a minimum 1 bar water pressure is present
50. Fatty tissue often has poor circulation. Because saunas help improve circulation, regular use assists with the breakdown of fat deposits.
51. The best showers will come with an overhead monsoon shower, which will drench and invigorate the body
52. Complete with radio and even a CD connection. Whether it be your favourite show or CD or even relaxing sounds, it all there for you.
53. A survey by Abbey revealed that hot tubs, saunas and gym were the most desired home improvement addition, adding desirability and saleability to a home
54. The body jets on the higher quality steam showers have been specially designed to massage and relax the muscles as well as improve circulation
55. A steam shower with dark mirrored backglass does not need to have a ''finished'' wall behind it
56. A normal steam shower unit requires just one standard 13amp connection via a fused spur, a unit with whirlpool function will need two
57. Most units a considered to be stand-alone appliances and as such can be easily dismantled and moved to other locations or homes
58. Whirlpool baths present in a steam shower often come with a chromotherapy light fitted, this is proven to relax and calm the mind as well as having a beautiful colour changing effect on the bath's water
59. Aromatherapy helps with concentration, memory recall and alertness
60. Blue luminous lighting or mood spotlights, pick the lighting that suits the feel of your bathroom
61. Aromatherapy in a steam shower helps enhance the experience of meditation and self-reflection, directly impacting emotional states through the olfactory system
62. In addition to the main monsoon shower the best unit will have a hand shower and riser, so you don't have to get your hair wet every time you shower
63. Different aromatherapy oils fight against different illnesses like colds and coughs
64. Mainly available in 800, 900, 950, 1050, 1100, 1350,1500 and 1700mm in length to suit all bathrooms
65. Dermatologists confirm that steam is a better cleansing agent than soap because it opens skin pores.
66. A sauna naturally improves circulation, increases your metabolism and relieves internal congestion
68. There are many different types of aromatherapy oils from Lavender to Apple, to Eucalyptus and Rosemary. Each has its own benefits and treat different ailments
69. The main MUST in any installation which will make for an easy installation is to ensure the tub/tray is completely level before proceeding
70. Aromatherapy helps relax, calm, uplift or stress-relieve the body.
71. The extractor fan within the steam shower ensures proper circulation and renewal of steam
72. The heat produced in a sauna tricks the body into thinking it has a 'phantom fever' which forces the immune system to not only cure any illness quicker but to build itself against any real illness in the future
73. There are many articles out there on the benefits of steam showers... read some
74. A Steam sauna has the long term effects to increase the ability of the skin to eliminate poisons
75. Remember, companies that sell steam showers DO NOT manufacture them. Buy from a company that has spares and the backing behind them to help you and still be in business in the future
76. A steam sauna followed immediately by an invigorating shower with massage jets! What could be better? Then you knew that...
77. A sauna opens your pores and helps rid the skin of bacteria that cause spots
78. Along with the aromatherapy and relaxing environment. Because your blood vessels and circulation are now more active the body feels in a more complete and relaxed state
79. The best operating temperature of a steam shower for the body is between 109 and 114 degrees
80. As well as the main light it may be possible to have any combination of the spotlight LED's and main light on or off if present
81. Many steam showers like anything manufactured originate from China, this is not a bad thing, it ensures the competitive prices which are then hopefully passed to you.
82. Great for the less able, as well as the muscular, circulation and other health benefits. Showers are available with low-level entry tray complete with a solid shower seat, perfectly placed in front of the body jets.
83. A 12 months part warranty is very, very rarely need. This is a fact, unless it's a really cheap, flimsy unit with weak plastic knows and handles then there should be a reason 99.9% of people should even keep their warranty paper
84. Available in a variety of colours and contemporary or classic designs to best suit your needs
85. Alone with a new kitchen, nothing, pound for pound adds more value to your home than a desirable bathroom
86. Easy to use and understand controls for the elderly or child alike.
87. Registered disabled qualify to get showers VAT free due to the showers high suitability and health benefits
88. If your steam unit comes with just a mixer valve, then weight up how this will affect you and whether you can live with it
89. 30% of waste is lost via sweating, more if exercising or in the sauna, less without.
90. There is no reason why you should have any more problems installing a steam shower to a standard shower, any reported problems out there are a reflection of the sheer numbers being sold and are probably explained by a cowboy fitting, which is easily solved. 99.999999% of steam showers last forever and never have a problem
91. Ask the company your buying from if they can recommend any fitters they have had any experience with in the past
92. It's natural to try to find an item at the cheapest possible price, but often the cost-saving has to come from somewhere, if it's not the initial cost of the product, then it will most likely be the quality of the product or the support! Always do your homework
93. The tub or tray on a steam shower is fully sported by a steel frame which will support very heavyweight, many models are designed for two people to stand on and there are no problems, the design does not change in the one-person models. (Ask the retailer if you're concerned)
94. The PEV valve you need for your unit is a standard type which can be bought from anywhere, don't buy it from the steam shower supplier if you can find it cheaper elsewhere
95. Try to buy your unit from someone that only sells or specialises in steam saunas, this help you to speak to the right people and ensure you get the best aftercare or answer to any questions
96. Everyone that see's a steam shower is take back by it and immediately wants one and rightly so, the more people hear about them the more people want them, and if you haven't got one the only reason can be because you've haven't seen one!
97. Protect yourself and your family. Always make sure that any electric alterations are made by a fully qualified electrician and fully water test the shower before use.
98. Most steam shower now come with an alarm button on the control panel in case of any problems of slips you may have whilst in the shower.
99. Usually there is a telephone connection behind the steam shower which fully enables you to make and receive calls. You dial via the control panel, speak into the microphone at the bottom of it and the voice of the receiver comes from the speaker in the roof
100. 101 is a big number.
101. A steam shower is a great addition in any bathroom and i could probably rattle on all day till 501 about the many great benefits they bring or certainly go on in greater detail. A steam shower from a good supplier will last you for years and never give you any problems just year and years of enjoyment and relaxation. That's a promise